Thursday, January 3, 2008

Our Children and Cell Phones

Do you know all the texting lingo? I sure do not. This is from Focus On The Family's Website. I thought it was good information to have with so many OTHER young children getting cell phones these days. My children will not be carrying one any time soon! If they are at school 8 hours a day and then I am driving them everywhere they need to go, why do they need a phone? I sure don't want them calling me telling me I'm late to pick them up!! ha

Here is the book:
Logged On and Tuned Out
A Nontechie's Guide to Parenting a Tech-Savvy Generation
Vicki Courtney
When you were their age, it was telephones and hanging out at the mall. Now the teen social world has expanded to things like text-messaging, online chat rooms and any number of Internet and digital gadgets. Here is a resource to help you understand and help protect your tweens and teens from the dangers of this new, global world.

Here is some of the texting lingo:
lol - laughing out loud
brb - be right back
btw - by the way
sup - what's up
idk - I don't know
ltr or l8r - later
otp - on the phone
yw - you're welcome
np - no problem
jk - just kidding
ttyl - talk to you later
thx - thanks
w/e - whatever
lylas - love ya like a sister
gtg - got to go

rents - parents
sys - see you soon
zzz - tired, bored
pos - parent over shoulder
mos - mom over shoulder
p911 - parent alert
paw - parents are watching
a/s/l - age, sex, location (often asked by predators)
420 - code for buying or smoking marijuana

No comments: